Chiropractic care came into being in 1895, when Daniel David Palmer gave a partially deaf janitor a Chiropractic adjustment that improved the man’s hearing. Commonly known as the “Father of Chiropractic,” D.D. Palmer opened a school for chiropractic training two years later.
Early in the profession’s history, Chiropractic treatment bore many similarities to Osteopathy, and the first chiropractors had to fight an uphill battle for acceptance in the larger medical community. Assuming leadership over the Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1906, B.J. Palmer, D.D. Palmer’s son, introduced the use of new technology, such as X-rays, into general chiropractic practice. During that same year, Dr. Solon Langworthy published the first book on Chiropractic, titled “Modernized Chiropractic” — “Special Philosophy — A Distinct System,” in which he introduced the concept of the Subluxation, a key concept in the modern practice of Chiropractic care.
Throughout his tenure with the Palmer College of Chiropractic, B.J. Palmer increased total enrollment to more than 1,000 students in the early 1920s. With a strong emphasis on training and professional development, Palmer founded the Universal Chiropractors’ Association (UCA) as an advocacy organization for practicing chiropractors in the United States.
Traditionally, Chiropractic practitioners often fall into one of two categories: “straights” or “mixers.” Traditionally, straights perform only spinal adjustments, and believe this manual manipulation is sufficient to treat all ailments that fall under the purview of chiropractic care. Mixers, on the other hand, combine spinal adjustments with other alternative treatments.
A thriving therapeutic practice today, the field of chiropractic received a major infusion of research and development in 1975 through a National Institutes of Health conference. Increasing scholarly interest in the last decade of the 20th century further expanded and developed this growing practice.